It's my 4th film lesson today. In this lesson, Ms. Rosati taught us things about scripts.
I realised that scripts written for films are called screen plays. It is different from scripts written for plays and dramas. It is very important to know where the film will be shoot before the actual shooting as it will cost a lot of money going to different places.
A script is very important, too. If the actors don't have a script, they won't know what to do and what to speak in the shooting of the movie. To begin writing a script, the first thing to do is to write a story outline of the film. Then, write about the character, for example, what they like, what they eat, what they do, etc. However, it is different from how you will describe your character in the script. Next, you will have to write a basic outline, which is called treatment. You need to plan the things in sequences, for example, the first thing that happened in Gladiator was Maximus preparing for the battle and the next thing is... etc.
I also learnt that in a script, every time there is a new character, the name of the character has to be in CAPITAL LETTERS! Additionally, the special effects of the film should also be in BLOCK LETTERS in the script so that the people producing the film will know that it is a special effect.
Ms. Rosati also told us that 1 page of script equals to 1.5 to 2 minutes of the screen time! I wonder how many pages does a 2 hour film needs! In scripts, each location, what time of the day is always clearly stated, so everyone will know where to go and when to do.
Next lesson, we are going to make our own script! I hope I can write a script well!
I realised that scripts written for films are called screen plays. It is different from scripts written for plays and dramas. It is very important to know where the film will be shoot before the actual shooting as it will cost a lot of money going to different places.
A script is very important, too. If the actors don't have a script, they won't know what to do and what to speak in the shooting of the movie. To begin writing a script, the first thing to do is to write a story outline of the film. Then, write about the character, for example, what they like, what they eat, what they do, etc. However, it is different from how you will describe your character in the script. Next, you will have to write a basic outline, which is called treatment. You need to plan the things in sequences, for example, the first thing that happened in Gladiator was Maximus preparing for the battle and the next thing is... etc.
I also learnt that in a script, every time there is a new character, the name of the character has to be in CAPITAL LETTERS! Additionally, the special effects of the film should also be in BLOCK LETTERS in the script so that the people producing the film will know that it is a special effect.
Ms. Rosati also told us that 1 page of script equals to 1.5 to 2 minutes of the screen time! I wonder how many pages does a 2 hour film needs! In scripts, each location, what time of the day is always clearly stated, so everyone will know where to go and when to do.
Next lesson, we are going to make our own script! I hope I can write a script well!
6th September, 2013
No comments:
Post a Comment